How To Clean Your Composite Decking
What is Composite Decking?
Composite decking – like Trex – is a blend of plastic film and wood fibers. The plastic content of the boards makes them more durable and resistant to rotting and splinting. Composite deck boards never have to be sealed, stained or painted and even in direct sunlight they won’t warp or crack. They are splinter free with an additional plastic capping, composite decking boards become stain and fade resistant.
Benefits of Soft Washing
Composite decks are very durable and almost maintenance-free. However, to preserve the longevity of boards, it is recommended that you soft wash the composite decking twice a year. Routine cleaning will help prevent algae, moss, or lichen growth from appearing.
Soft washing your composite deck can:
- Increase the lifespan of your composite deck
- Prevent rotting and water damages
- Avoid damages from the use of high-pressure
- Improve the curb appeal of your deck
Cleaning Method – 10 Easy Steps
Composite decking is engineered to be low maintenance and it can be easily cleaned using a pressure washer and safe cleaning solutions. This process is known as soft washing.
Note – It is recommended to NEVER use high pressure on your composite deck. If done incorrectly, it can etch the composite fibers and leave pressure washing lines. Always use low-pressure (under 500 PSI).
- Remove all the furniture, decor, and accessories. This ensures nothing gets in the way or damaged during the cleaning process.
- Sweep the deck floor with the broom or blower to remove any loose debris, dirt, and leaves.
- Once the surface is swept, pre-rinse the deck boards, railings, and stairs with water. This will allow the cleaning solution to sink deeper into the composite.
- Pre-rinse plants, shrubs, and other surrounding landscaping to avoid the cleaning. Keep the plants and landscaping wet during the entire cleaning process.
- Prepare your cleaning solution. We recommend using a 50/50 mix of 12.5% bleach and water. Add a surfactant or soap to the mix to help the cleaning solution stick to the composite deck.
- Apply the cleaning solution by using a pump sprayer or through down streaming. Depending on the soil levels, it is recommended to let the solution sit for 5-15 minutes before pressure washing the deck.
- Using low pressure (under 500psi), begin pressure washing the boards, railings, and stairs. We recommend starting from the railings and finishing on the deck boards.
- When you are finished soft washing the composite decking, rinse away the remainder of the soap and any leftover dirt.
- Give the plants and surrounding landscaping a good, final rinse.
- Enjoy your freshly cleaned composite deck!
The Bottom Line
Composite deck routine cleaning will save you time and money. Our trained washing professionals know how to safely remove mold, algae, and other organic growths from any composite decking. For information on our deck cleaning services, read here or call 219.370.6827 to speak to one of our professionals and schedule your service to get your deck barefoot-friendly and looking great!
Working With Us Is Easy
Get a free estimate over the phone in just minutes!
Fast, flexible, and easy scheduling to accommodate your needs
Sit back and enjoy your freshly cleaned property